How Mohammed became who he was and why Islam is what it is
The Bible indicates that dishonest scales are an abomination. (Prov 11:1, 20:23) I don’t believe the principle applies merely to marketplace scales. It also has relevance in the degree of fairness exhibited when assessing the history of religions one against another.
This article will briefly examine the history of Mohammed and Islam against that of Judaism and Christianity. We often point fingers at the historical actions of Muslims and their prophet as though the histories of Jews and Christians wouldn’t draw equal fire.
The Prophet of Islam was born in 570AD and died in 632AD. At the age of 40 he began to get visionary revelations that led to the inception of Islam in 610AD. In his day, lives were not cluttered by endless barrages of information. Unlike today, there were not innumerable forms of entertainment to help people temporarily escape life’s harshness. This made much more time available for people to mediate on spiritual matters.
Apparently, Mohammed was a seeker. He resided in Arabia where the dominant religions were Polytheism, Judaism and Christianity. The influences of those religions were in the mix as Mohammed sought revelation. A supernatural entity appeared to him in visions. It claimed to be the Archangel Gabriel.
Of course, Christians know that 2nd Corinthians 11:13-14 clearly states that Satan or one of his emissaries can manifest as an angel of light to instill deception. That is what happened to Mohammed.
It is doubtful that Mohammed initially had aspirations to become the self-proclaimed prophet of a new religion. It is more likely that as the evil angelic visitations continued, he became infested with a deceiving spirit. A basic of tenet of the false doctrines given to Mohammed during his revelations was the denial of the Father and Son relationship of God and Jesus of Nazareth. The First Epistle of John 2:21-23 reveals that denial a manifestation of the spirit of antichrist.
Furthermore, the evil entity led Mohammed into believing that he was God’s final prophet who was granted placement superior to Jesus Christ. It incited him with the notion that God (Allah) had ordained him to institute Islam that by definition means submission to God.
Arabian polytheists held that Allah was chief among 300 plus gods. Allah was the major god of Mohammed’s orientation. It was natural for Mohammed to assume that the supreme deity of his culture should be declared Islam’s one and only god.
It was somewhat like Native American Indians identifying their traditional Great Spirit of the Sky as identical to the God of whom Christian missionaries spoke. This type of assumption was not unprecedented in the cultures of Bible times.
In his Mars Hill sermon, the Apostle Paul acknowledged that the chief god of a culture could be presented as the one true God whom he proclaimed. Paul did so by quoting the prophetic poetry of the idolatrous soothsayers Epimenides and Aratus. In first half of Acts 17:28, when making reference to the Unknown God, Paul quoted Epimendes when he said: “for in Him we live and move and have our being.” In the second half of the verse, Paul quoted Aratus: “For we are also His offspring.”
Both BCE prophets were making reference to the Greek’s king of all gods, Zeus. Aratus’ poem was Phaenomena. It spoke of how all mankind are the offspring of Zeus and that all live and have being in him.
Paul inferred that the chief deity that the ancient Greeks called Zeus was equivalent to the Supreme Unknown God about whom he preached. We give him free pass for doing so. Therefore, it might not be righteous balance for Christians to criticize Mohammed for referring to what he thought to be the one true God as Allah.
Similarities of Barbarism
I will give you examples of the cruel practices of Islam that were also found in the lives of some Bible heroes. I’m not condoning the behavior and I don’t by any means believe that such practices belong in the Twenty-first Century. My purpose is to establish that Islam, Judaism and Christianity share embarrassing histories. I will not give chapter and verse for all points as anyone familiar with the Scriptures will recognize the validity of that which is stated.
- Mohammed had slaves and the Muslims were key players in pre-20th Century slave trafficking. (The Old and New Testament endorsed slavery)
- The Koran and the Hadiths (the practices) of Mohammed prescribe punishments of flogging, stoning and appendage amputation. (In the Old Testament, limits were set on the severity with which slaves were flogged. They were not to be beaten so hard as to bring about death on the day punished. (Ex 21:20-21) Rebellious teens and promiscuous women risked death by stoning. (Deut 21:18-21; 22:20-21) Jesus mentioned that it is better to pluck out an offending eye and to cut off a sinful hand than to chance going into eternity with sin ridden bodily parts. It is not unheard of for some to take sayings of holy men in a strict rather than figurative sense. Matt 5:29-30; Deut 25:11-12)
- Mohammed and generations of Islamic armies considered women war booty for harems of multiple wives and concubines. (King David conspired to have Uriah killed in battle so that he could cover his adulterous affair and impregnation of Uriah’s wife. King Solomon had 700 wives and 300 concubines)
- Islam’s Jihad warriors were highwaymen plunderers of caravans. (Samson killed 30 men and took their clothes to satisfy a wager)
- Mohammed personally slaughtered 600 Jewish captives after the Battle of the Trenches. (Elijah did the same to 450 prophets of Baal on Mt Carmel)
- It is estimated that Islamic Jihad has taken 270 million lives since its founding. 60 million of the butchered were Christians. (Joshua’s armies were commanded to execute every man, woman and infant when taking occupation of Canaan. King Saul lost his throne because he failed to kill every person and beast of the Amalekites)
- Americans are grieved to indignation by reports of US trained Muslim Afghan soldier’s torturing dogs for entertainment. (Samson caught 300 foxes. He tied their tails together in braces of 2 and set them ablaze to destroy the Philistine’s crops)
- Past and present anti-Semitism is unquestionably Islamic policy. (Were it not for Christian anti-Semitism the Inquisitions, Czarist Purging and Nazi Holocaust could not have ever happened)
The Problem with Islam
If Christians were saddled with the legalism of the Old Testament era, some might consider the horrors of present day Islamic practice acceptable. All people are indebted to Jesus for ushering grace and mercy into the human equation. As the temperament of our Loving Heavenly Father has gradually unfolded throughout the years of Christianity, offensive excesses have been recognized and laid aside. Societal sensitivities have advanced for the better.
Not so with Islam. It drags loyal adherents back to a 7th Century mindset. Islam still has practices that are highly objectionable to people of Twenty-first Century conscience. It is virtually impossible to accurately disclose the many ways that Islam alarms modern sensitivities without appearance of sensationalism.
Islam is ever gaining political clout and many nations are in danger of Islamization. That makes it necessary to confront Muslims about areas where their religion continues to perpetuate that which is cruel and unusual. Those acquainted with Islam’s aberrant customs are obligated to warn the gullible not to be deceived by assertions that Islam is at all points a religion of peace.
In spite of whatever good intentions Mohammed originally had about forming a uniting religion, it did not end up that way. The subtle entity that guided him led him down a path of which most non-Muslims are not aware. Islam is not merely a religion that seeks political influence to insure freedom to function. It is a religious-state political system that governs every aspect of private and societal life that is interdependent on its supporting religion called Islam. The religious-state governing power is Shariah Law.
Mohammed’s false revelations transposed over modern cultures hinder innovative creativity that fosters the abundant life that Jesus promised. Shariah Law is incapable of producing anything better than it has produced in Islamic stronghold nations during the past 1,300 years.
That being said, Islam does have some good components. Its disciplines of 5 daily prayer sessions; fasting; and giving alms are commendable. When Muslims convert to Christianity they bring fervency with them. The question is how do we attract Muslims that should be considered precious assets?
The biblical answer is for believers to pray for the salvation of all mankind. There is good reason to have special faith for Muslims. Tens of thousands of Muslims are receiving authentic supernatural revelations of the divinity of Jesus Christ. They are recipients of insights from the Triune God and are having their lives gloriously transformed by conversion.
Christians can assist in the process in several ways: Pray for an increase of visitations of the Holy Spirit in Muslim lives. Christians should gird-up personal faith to demonstrate miraculous healing and to bear evidence of God’s blessing that verify Jesus’ claim to be the Eternal Son of God. It is important that our conversations with Muslims be seasoned with grace.
If we expect to win Muslims for Christ, it will not do to begin interaction by inflammatory statements labeling Allah a demon. After that nature of opening remark; anything said next will really have to be clever.
When it comes to dealing with Muslims on the personal level, it is best to heed the words of Jimmy Stewart in the movie classic, Harvey.
Stewart playing the part of Elwood P. Dowd said in his customary stammering drawl: Years ago my mother used to say to me, she’d say, “In this world, Elwood, you must be” – she always called me Elwood – “In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.” Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You can quote me.
Be blessed and be a blessing,